Thread: Licensing question - custom OS for VIN already licensed / vehicle group

Question Licensing question - custom OS for VIN already licensed / vehicle group

Hi guys,

although I've read a couple of times through the FAQ, I don't fully understand it: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ir-Differences

Here's my situation: I have a Pro interface with 8 GM credits. So far I only used 2 for my 2002 CETA. Now I want to try a very custom flex fuel OS on the same PCM (and same VIN) that I already licensed. HP Tuners tells me that I need to use 2 credits, again. If I want to try another custom OS, would I need to use 2 more credits, accounting to a total of 6?

And if so, wouldn't it be wiser to use 5 credits to license the whole 2002 FBody year for unlimited VINs? And if I do that, does it include any custom OSes for the 2002 FBodys also?

Thanks in advance for any hint
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Collectors Edition 6spd T-Top

MS4 cam | AFR 205 heads, BTR .660, Ferrea valves, Morel lifter | Hooker 1 3/4" headers + ORY | Magnaflow catback | FAST 36# injectors | LS6 intake | Eaton 3.73 diff | Bilstein/Eibach suspension | BMR SFCs, LCAs | Wilwood brakes | 17x9 & 17x11 wheels

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Assuming you are using software version 3.x & you are applying the custom operating system to the file IN YOUR VEHICLE there is no fee for the custom operating system.

If you are trying to flash someone elses file to your ecm or you are using old software thats a completely different story.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Yes, I am using 3.2. But I'm not trying to apply a custom OS in my vehicle. I want to write entire a modified (segment swapped) file to my car, same VIN, same PCM.

MS4 cam | AFR 205 heads, BTR .660, Ferrea valves, Morel lifter | Hooker 1 3/4" headers + ORY | Magnaflow catback | FAST 36# injectors | LS6 intake | Eaton 3.73 diff | Bilstein/Eibach suspension | BMR SFCs, LCAs | Wilwood brakes | 17x9 & 17x11 wheels

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlorianGee View Post
    Yes, I am using 3.2. But I'm not trying to apply a custom OS in my vehicle. I want to write entire a modified (segment swapped) file to my car, same VIN, same PCM.
    Bad idea IMO, perform at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Bad idea IMO, perform at your own risk.
    I'm aware of the risks, but my question about the licensing is still unanswered - could you help me with that?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I believe it will take 6 credits total

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I believe it will take 6 credits total
    So I'm better off buying into the whole 2002 model year unlimited license for F-Bodys, because it includes unlimited VINs and custom OSes?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Really depends on the .hpt files in question, without seeing the actual files I would just be guessing. You are saying you are using a flex fuel file but I don't know of any fbody that used a file setup for flex fuel.

True, no fbody had flex fuel stock. Thats why someone made a custom 12216125 OS for my stock 0411 PCM.

How can I send the .hpt files to you, to answer my initial question? PM?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Post them here I'll be happy to take a look.

I'd rather keep them private, for now