Thread: First tune download. ECM/TCM incompatable.

Tuner in Training

First tune download. ECM/TCM incompatable.

I just did a cam and gear swap. I put in a 274 comp cam and 3.55 gears. The cam I took out was a 6.4 factory cam. The car is a 2009 challenger RT auto. I also have a cold air intake and factory 6.1 exhaust manifolds. I have been tuning it via email with a diablosport predator. Before I started the project I saved the tune that was in the car to hpt, also I returned the original factory tune to the car and unmarried the handheld. I also saved that to hpt. The first startup didn't idle as expected so I loaded in the tune that I had removed from the car. That ran well enough to drive it. As soon as the car moves the trans goes into limp mode and throws the, ECM/TCM incompatable, as well as 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear not correct. I am not sure how to proceed at this point. I am new to hpt and tuning so please don't assume that I know anything.

Make sure the battery is full, try flashing it again. And check your grounds and wiring. Sounds like you may have missed something putting it back together.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    I triple checked all of the wires, plugs and grounds. everything is accounted for. I charged the battery and wrote the file to the car again. no change. still goes into limp mode as soon as it gets rolling. I wonder if it matters where the tune, that I am trying to write to the car, originally came from? I have a couple of tunes which came different software, the one that I have tried to write goes into limp mode, but the other tune will not run at all. the tunes I would think should be close enough to the same to at least run.

Tuner in Training
    I keep reading that limp mode stays in second. perhaps my trans isnt in limp but just acting very weird. i am pretty sure it shifts up to third and stays there. if i put it auto stick before i start moving it displays first, second and then third gear but wont go higher. Also if i get the car up to 50 mph and shift into neutral and then back to drive it will go into 5th and stay there until i slow down enough to force it back to third. it will not go below 3rd from there on.

Tuner in Training
    you have to program the new gear ratio. use vcm scanner, to change gear ratio, perform initil.
    then clear dtcs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by boostlife View Post
    you have to program the new gear ratio. use vcm scanner, to change gear ratio, perform initil.
    then clear dtcs
    I did this. are there any other settings that need to be changed besides the one in the scanner for the speedo? I was wondering if the gear change is messing with something.

Tuner in Training
    post cal and datalog

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksaleen9 View Post
    post cal and datalog
    do you mean datalog of the car running or the vcm info file?

Tuner in Training
    An HPL datalog of the car while you're encountering these problems, and an HPT file that you flashed to the ecu.

Here's a config file of logging parameters I use on an 09 SRT8 challenger, since you have a newer vehicle you'll have some other parameters on the engine side that will need to be referenced, but for now this should let us see what's going on. Assuming that you haven't set that up yet...

challenger.Channels.xml

Tuner in Training
    An HPL datalog of the car while you're encountering these problems, and an HPT file that you flashed to the ecu.

Here's a config file of logging parameters I use on an 09 SRT8 challenger, since you have a newer vehicle you'll have some other parameters on the engine side that will need to be referenced, but for now this should let us see what's going on. Assuming that you haven't set that up yet...

challenger.Channels.xml
    here is a datalog using your list of parameters. I do have a 3200 stall so keep that in mind. notice also that when i am up to speed if i shift to neutral and back to drive it does goes into 5th and will stay there until it slows down. also i did a brief wot and it downshifted to third and then stayed there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    the suggestions are slowing down. that is making me a bit nervous. Do I have a unique situation that nobody has heard about?

Tuner in Training
    Have you done a file compare on all the files that you've pulled into HPT? If you look at "trans current gear" you'll notice it never actually is a number. On all my datalogs the only time it's "Unknown ## ##..." is during a gear change.

I've noticed in some different calibrations (including an "MTCM" pull) there are different gear ratios listed for gears 1-3 (ie 1st gear 3.95 vs 3.60)etc when comparing files, so that may be something to double check. Like suggested before, make sure in the scanner that the gear ratio is set correctly. I took a look at the cal you listed and it doesn't appear that anything in the shift scheduling is off. I have encountered some issues with the TCM however after setting the gear ratio initially with the diablo back before HP had trans support, and it caused the car to shift up to 5th and hold...

Are there any of the calibrations you've pulled either with the diablo or HP that allow the car to shift correctly?

Tuner in Training
    Have you done a file compare on all the files that you've pulled into HPT? If you look at "trans current gear" you'll notice it never actually is a number. On all my datalogs the only time it's "Unknown ## ##..." is during a gear change.

I've noticed in some different calibrations (including an "MTCM" pull) there are different gear ratios listed for gears 1-3 (ie 1st gear 3.95 vs 3.60)etc when comparing files, so that may be something to double check. Like suggested before, make sure in the scanner that the gear ratio is set correctly. I took a look at the cal you listed and it doesn't appear that anything in the shift scheduling is off. I have encountered some issues with the TCM however after setting the gear ratio initially with the diablo back before HP had trans support, and it caused the car to shift up to 5th and hold...

Are there any of the calibrations you've pulled either with the diablo or HP that allow the car to shift correctly?
    I have installed 3 different calibrations all from separate sources and none have shifted correctly. I have heard of this same issue with the same year as mine and also a diff gear change. It makes me wonder if there is some issue with changing the rear end gear ratio. The fix on the other one was to get a new tcm. I am not too excited about that. I am taking it to the dealer on friday to have it diagnosed and possible tcm replacement.

Tuner in Training
    I have resolved this issue. I took it to the dealer and they loaded a factory tune into the pcm and then loaded an updated file into the tcm. This showed no issues and when I drove it the trans worked correctly. I was able to load my tune back in the pcm and drove the car home with no issues. This is pure speculation on my part, but it is possible because my car has not had any updates to the tcm, perhaps hpt did not recognize it and locked it. I am open for other thoughts also.

Tuner
    I have a car in the shop currently with the exact same issue. It is a 2009 5.7 Challenger RT that was just built and tuned by two other shops. Apparently there were some issues with the trans during tuning. We found a bad ground and repaired it. After multiple attempts at flashing stock tunes we determined it may be best to flash the latest OEM updates to the PCM and TCM. Then do a new readout, and use the new readout to recreate the tune. Hopefully for our customer's sake we end up with the same result you did.