Thread: major problems

Tuner in Training

major problems

use hp tuner for about a week with a problem... thenon sat night i went to load a program in and then it said it had an error.... now the car will not start, will not reconnect, will not let me read or write

Re: major problems

please email us as much detail as you can to [email protected]

I count sheep in hex...

Also, when these things happen we need to know exactly what the error message says.

They are very descriptive and can tell us a lot about what actually went wrong.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Senior Tuner

It may just be the PCM bus got "hung"; I had this
    happen once using my slow 100MHz laptop due to
    comms problems. Pulling the two PCM fuses reset it
    fine.

Tuner in Training

email sent

Tuner in Training

Same thing happened to me tried the fuses tried taking the pcm to the dealer they said I have a "DTC P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory Error" They said i am out of luck nothing they can do but replace the PCM. Do you guys at HP have any Ideas what caused this or is there a way to fix it? I did the upload by the directions. Please help car dead. Smeshey

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by smeshey
    Same thing happened to me tried the fuses tried taking the pcm to the dealer they said I have a "DTC P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory Error" They said i am out of luck nothing they can do but replace the PCM. Do you guys at HP have any Ideas what caused this or is there a way to fix it? I did the upload by the directions. Please help car dead. Smeshey
    So what you are saying is you cannot read or write the VCM, but the dealer can get the P0601 code for you?

Does the VCM scanner report the same error?

Can you email me the stock binary and the one you uploaded to the car when it failed.

Ken

Tuner in Training

Ken

Emailed these files today to Chris. Dealer can get VIN # and the error code but nothing else.

Tuner in Training

i spoke with smeshey over the phone, we are having the same problems, please let us know

Quote Originally Posted by nice4thgenz
    i spoke with smeshey over the phone, we are having the same problems, please let us know
    When you state
    thenon sat night i went to load a program in and then it said it had an error....
    What did the error say? That is very important as that single sentance alone can tell us exactly what went wrong.

Were either of you using USB to Serial adapters?

Also, when both of you try to write the PCM with the file you downloaded from it originally (the operating systems MUST match), what is the exact error message you receive?

If you write the PCM with an operating system that is different from what was originally on there you could fry the PCM.

Senior Tuner

Guys,

What was the last thing you both changed before the problem occured?

Ken

Tuner in Training

Ken I sent the files to Chris it should show everything that I changed. It seemed to upload fine. I didn't see any errors. When I tried to start the car all it would do is crank. I tried to reinstall the original program and it asked for ignition voltage. and wouldn't reload the original. I need some help here car is dead in the water just cranks with stock PCM in it and I need to give my buddy his spare back soon. Thanks Scott

If it will help Ill send you my PCM

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    Guys,

What was the last thing you both changed before the problem occured?

Ken
    all i did is change the shift points 100 rpms, i have writin to the pcm several times without a problem...

i use a pcimca to serial adapter

Can you guys tell us exactly what the error message says when you try to re-load the stock file back into the PCM?

Tuner in Training

vcm not found

nice4thgenz,

I didn't receive an email from you.

Can you please email me the stock binary as you initially read from the PCM and the last binary you tried to write when the problem occurred.

I have replicated smeshy's problem and found that i could recover the PCM no problems.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

OK here is where i am at I reinstalled the original PCM i tried to re load original program First thing it says reqeusting ignition voltage then checking for unresponsive VCM Then connection error then a window pops up with unable to connect to VCM verify cable connection and key is in the run position I made sure the fuse is good I have pulled the PCM fuses to see if it would reset i am not using a serial adapter of any type so please tell me how to bring the original VCM back cause i cant seem to do it Thanks Scott

Senior Tuner

Guys, while the checksum error problem would have caused the car to not run, it would not have killed the VCM.

The VCM was always able to communicate after the error. The section of code where the VCM boots from is not erased. This would be the same type of error if you had pulled the fuse in the middle of programming.

The VCM would be unusable until VCM Flash recovered it.
    The reason you guys could not get it to run after a second or third attempt is the checksum would still be off in the modified file you were trying to reload. This is why we asked you to put the original file back in and get the update from us.

Ken

Tuner in Training

Hey Ken this is were I am right now. Chris had me check to see if I can communicate with the extra PCM I have> It gets the VCM ID no problem VIN pops right up. I go into Scanner checked the DTC's it shows all the codes the car has. I cleared the codes no problem. Like i told Chris I am afraid to try anything else with this PCM cause it is not mine. I try to reload original program to MY VCM it asks for ignition voltage then says its checking for unresponcive VCM then connection error. A box then pops up saying unable to connect to VCM Verify cable connection and key is in the run position. Now before you ask I have the key in the ON position I have waited 15 seconds befor I have tried to communicate. Obviously the cable and the car are working cause I can read the other VCM. So what do we try next. I am going to have to return the extra VCM by Wens., and this will leave the car dead in the water. I can ship the VCM to you if this will help I also live in Illinois. Thanks Scott