Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cruise control not working

cruise control not working

Anybody know all the parameters that control the cruise control in a 6.4? Did a single turbo swap and lost my cruise control??
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    Anybody know all the parameters that control the cruise control in a 6.4? Did a single turbo swap and lost my cruise control??
    do you have any abs codes or lights? or a faulty brake switch?

Nothing. Truck is like it was before except cruise doesn't come on.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

I am being told that it is because the VGT is gone. There is a way to tune it to work. Anybody know? I am seeing online that a few shops figured it out but they are not around anymore..
    2023 Ford Edge ST

can't you hit the VGT switch 19626?

I have tried enabled and disabled. Trying it enabled with zero'd out parameters this weekend. Kem Performance supposedly figured this out but he hasn't been in business since 2019.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

I wonder if it?s a communication issue as I believe the vgt controller is on a network, I?ll look at some diagrams when I get back into the shop

Quote Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
    I wonder if it?s a communication issue as I believe the vgt controller is on a network, I?ll look at some diagrams when I get back into the shop
    I would greatly appreciate it, buddy. I get no codes for VGT with it enabled or disabled..
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Advanced Tuner
    Recalibrate your brake switch. I've run into this before. Fix was to adjust / calibrate the brake switch. It doesn't necessarily need to be off enough to illuminate your brake lights, but it can be off enough to disable engagement of your cruise control if it senses a signal from the brake pedal switch.

Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    Recalibrate your brake switch. I've run into this before. Fix was to adjust / calibrate the brake switch. It doesn't necessarily need to be off enough to illuminate your brake lights, but it can be off enough to disable engagement of your cruise control if it senses a signal from the brake pedal switch.
    I have replaced all of the parts involved with the cruise control. From steering wheel to master cylinder. Everything is working on that end. Power and signal to ecm when set..
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Nothing. Truck is like it was before except cruise doesn't come on.
    DTC in "other modules" can cause this as well...

Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    DTC in "other modules" can cause this as well...
    Please Elaborate...
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Please Elaborate...
    You need a scanner that can read more than just the ECM/TCM modules. Other modules can have errors or codes currently present in them keeping cruise from activating, but you currently can't read or see them with just VCM scanner or other lower end code scanners. I have tuned many 6.4 single turbo setups without any cruise control issues. However I always do update the PCM strategy/OS to 8U7A-14C204-FG which is the latest one using my VCM2 and IDS. I then pull that freshly installed strategy/OS using HPT and build a file based on mods.

P0179A and P0488 are the only codes I have.. they are disabled but still show as MIL-off. Anybody know what else you can do besides disable the codes?
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Advanced Tuner
    I have replaced all of the parts involved with the cruise control. From steering wheel to master cylinder. Everything is working on that end. Power and signal to ecm when set..
    Replacing parts wont help anything if the brake pedal position switch needs calibrated. Even if its brand new, it likely needs calibrated at the dealer. Though I cant say for sure if your vehicle has this type of brake switch / sensor. Most newer vehicle's do though. Might want to look into that.

P0179A and P0488 are the only codes I have.. they are disabled but still show as MIL-off. Anybody know what else you can do besides disable the codes?
    Its because you're only touching the error classes with HPT DTC switches. You need to whack the antibounces to completely kill the code. (Which HPT doesn't have) if you have the addresses for your strategy and the UDP option enabled you can disable the antibounces.

For SID902 (08-10 PCMs) antibounces are the actual trigger for a specific DTC (If it does have one) error classes only control what light comes on when a specific code is triggered.

CEL with code, No CEL with code, Wrench Light with code, code with no wrench etc etc.
    Last edited by PSM 6.4; 12-12-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Replacing parts wont help anything if the brake pedal position switch needs calibrated. Even if its brand new, it likely needs calibrated at the dealer. Though I cant say for sure if your vehicle has this type of brake switch / sensor. Most newer vehicle's do though. Might want to look into that.
    No recal needed. If you read my post, I have tested all the way to the ECM pin out for both cruise circuits.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    Its because you're only touching the error classes with HPT DTC switches. You need to whack the antibounces to completely kill the code. (Which HPT doesn't have) if you have the addresses for your strategy and the UDP option enabled you can disable the antibounces.

For SID902 (08-10 PCMs) antibounces are the actual trigger for a specific DTC (If it does have one) error classes only control what light comes on when a specific code is triggered.

CEL with code, No CEL with code, Wrench Light with code, code with no wrench etc etc.
    Not familiar with Antibounce term.? Another name for it?
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Advanced Tuner
    No recal needed. If you read my post, I have tested all the way to the ECM pin out for both cruise circuits.
    I've read your post. You just don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell you. Yeah, you replaced all the parts, pinned everything out, all the circuits are great. Cool story. You can do the same thing with a throttle body, a blend door actuator among other things. They still need their positions calibrated. Your brake pedal sensor/switch is no different. If its not calibrated, your cruise control will never work as the system will think your on the brake, and it wont necessarily illuminated your brake lights or cause any fault codes. Not trying to be argumentative or anything, just trying to help you out. If for some reason your vehicle does not have a position sensor/switch, then this would obviously not apply. Im pretty sure though, most if not all newer vehicles have this, as it is a part of traction control, abs and stability control systems.

I've read your post. You just don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell you. Yeah, you replaced all the parts, pinned everything out, all the circuits are great. Cool story. You can do the same thing with a throttle body, a blend door actuator among other things. They still need their positions calibrated. Your brake pedal sensor/switch is no different. If its not calibrated, your cruise control will never work as the system will think your on the brake, and it wont necessarily illuminated your brake lights or cause any fault codes. Not trying to be argumentative or anything, just trying to help you out. If for some reason your vehicle does not have a position sensor/switch, then this would obviously not apply. Im pretty sure though, most if not all newer vehicles have this, as it is a part of traction control, abs and stability control systems.
    My truck doesn't require a "RECAL" of the brake switch. If they did I wouldn't own it..
    2023 Ford Edge ST