Thread: Any ideas on how to generate more traffic/activity

Any ideas on how to generate more traffic/activity

According to my logs, transfers about 1.4 gigs a month. transfers about 200 MB a month. I host this webserver on a 1.1Mb SDSL line. I have plenty of bandwith for more traffic.

However I'd like more attention to this site to hopefully generate more questions/answers and build a better knowledge base of both posts and members.

What do you guys suggest to help generate traffic?

I will be working on the main page [ to include part #'s for PCM's, flash file cal ID's, the changes between the years for various PCM's.. links to flash files, other sites.. good conversations on the board and such..

But this site is kinda like off in the woods. We are hidden and secluded. We need to be out there on the main street screaming look at us!

I could add sections for FORD, or diagnostics.. perhaps even LS1 Edit discussion and LT1 Edit discussion??

What do you guys think? Thanks.

- Keith
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Re: Any ideas on how to generate more traffic/acti

I KNOW what people want more of. They want to come here and download something that will fix all their tuning needs. ;D But right now we are gaining more people with tweaking as a serious hobby and not just an alternative to paying for PCM upgrades.

Possibly if we post more of the stuff we are working on as its being developed that might help. I know I wait until I am sure I have everything just right before I do post it.

As for Ford and others that is a good idea.. everybody can learn from other makes and models - who knows what brainstorms we have happen!

I also think that we are all on different levels of learning.. some really know the code, some the communication.. others are just beginning to understand how it all works. That intimidates people alot and makes them scared to ask stuff. If we can overcome that we may generate some additional traffic.
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Here's another question I need oppinions for..

Currently the site is obd2.dxsoftware.com which well makes most believe its only for OBD2..

So I'm thinking of switching it.. here are my current ideas...

obd.dxsoftware.com (All OBD but this kinda excluses tuning and other stuff)

pcm.dxsoftware.com (Pretty much anything PCM/Hacking/Tuning related)..

What do you guys think about that?

Tuner

My vote is for pcm.dxsoftware.com
    Just be sure to leave obd2.dxsoftware.com working for a while so we can check to see what it was changed to
    &&-=#Determined to figure out the PCM in my 2k Impala#=-&&http://www.lynoise.com

oh definately obd2.dxsoftware.com will be working and forward all requests over to ???.dxsoftware.com

I really hope EVERYBODY who reads this board, guest or member would please give me their input..

Another thing regarding the addition of ford is, i'm not a ford guy and have no idea how to catagorize forums for ford.

I am still seeking input.. I know there are QUITE a few lurkers here... You can post as guest and I do encourage you to do so!!

I've catagorized the forums and seperated them a little.. Should make deciphering between GM, Ford and all else easier.. however it does make the main page a little larger.. but I prefer the way it is now, what do you guys think?

Also, any ford people on here? Ford lurkers? I need assistance with that section.

Potential Tuner

How about a beginners section? I'm just now learning how to pull the codes off the board and as I browse more I'm finding out what it takes to read one of these PCM's and make it work.

A central place that can act as an archive of all the known information -- maybe an FAQ or something of the sort.
    Not a problem, just a challenge...&&98 3.8 Chevy Camaro V6

Pride: The basics area is for just that purpose. Like if you dont understand a DTC or what effect a certain table has or how to use a certain piece of equipment..

I'll take a look through there and see if there's something that can be improved to make it a bit easier to find what you need.
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Tuner in Training

One idea is to expand to add an "imports" forum or two. While my humble hacking beginnings way back when were domestic (GMP4) and my next car will likely also be a domestic, I currently drive an import (1994 Mazda MX6 thinly disguised as a Probe GT). Having spent years moderating tech forums at mx6.com, I know that there's a segment of the import "crowd" curious to hack their PCMs.

Now, whether they'll actually invest the time and resources to do so is another question. Also unknown is how much knowledge many will bring to the table. It's been my experience that many would-be hackers are rather lacking in the basics department, but this site has a Basics forum to help out in that regard.
    --&&Mike

Hmm... They use the ISO protocol...

It seems that Dodge, Jeep, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and a few others use the ISO protocol.

If there is enoug ISO protocol interest I could add that as well.

Well I added an ISO section.. we'll see how that pans out

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Well I added an ISO section.. we'll see how that pans out
    Looks great Magnus. Perhaps I'll write a little something up for the MECS-II (OBD-I) PCM to get the ball rolling there...
    --&&Mike

I'll see if I cant pop up some ISO hardware stuff

Ok, I'll see if I can gather some ford PWM interest.... I know GM and VPW is a huge thing out there and many people are interested in this stuff, but I still think that the ford aftermarket and performance market is much larger than GM's, which leads me to believe there has to be even more ford interest out there than GM.. But where is it?