Thread: Why do Advance Fuel Flow and Instantaneous flow not match even close?

Senior Tuner

Why do Advance Fuel Flow and Instantaneous flow not match even close?

like could be 10% different or double? Where are these derived?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Not sure what the Advance Fuel Flow parameter is, so i guess I'd join in on that question. But when I first started fooling with PWM fuel pump GenIV stuff I did log and verify with calculations that Instantaneous Fuel Flow Estimate does seem to correlate exactly with what you would manually calculate from reported fuel injector puslewidth, injector flowrate, and engine RPM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CaudleDynamicsLLC View Post
    Not sure what the Advance Fuel Flow parameter is, so i guess I'd join in on that question. But when I first started fooling with PWM fuel pump GenIV stuff I did log and verify with calculations that Instantaneous Fuel Flow Estimate does seem to correlate exactly with what you would manually calculate from reported fuel injector puslewidth, injector flowrate, and engine RPM.
    I think i did that years ago too - but if you give me two options Ill never remember what the correct one is for any length of time Hopefully real answers here can be referred to again when I forget, again
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

I hear ya there.
    Im re-curious on what that Advance Fuel Flow parameter is now... I don't have any logs with it but looking at yours its like the two parameters are fairly close until high flow/high MAP conditions. As far as I recall, the Instantaneous Flow parameter is already fully corrected to give actual theoretical fuel flow, but I'm wondering if the Advance parameter is some sort of offset or loss or (?) due to pressure differential over the injector, and/or high/med/low flow modes for pressure settings and/or something else that goes into or was taken out of the final Instantaneous calculation. Just speculation on my part until someone more enlightened interjects. Or maybe its just jibberish like some parameters are lol

Senior Tuner
    The advanced fuel flow estimate is predicting fuel usage slightly ahead of time. It is used as a feed forward to the FPCM. (Apparently)