Thread: 2009 Sierra 4.8 First Tune

Tuner in Training

2009 Sierra 4.8 First Tune

Hi all,

I just purchased HP Tuners to try and learn on my bone stock 2009 Sierra 4.8. I've started by reducing the engine TM and lowering my PE to 3500rpm @ 60% throttle. I ran a log this morning but see I am getting ETC Torque Management from Tip In. I'm not exactly sure what the tip in does and wondering if I can max it out in every gear. I'm also getting some spark TM from the transmission. I'd like to reduce by maybe 25% but not sure if I modified the correct tables. I'm unsure on what I can safely change in the transmission.

Tune1 is what's currently in the truck and what the log reflects. WOT around 14:54.
    Tune2 is what I'm currently working on, but looking for some input before I write.

I'm looking for some better drivability and see if I can make it less lazy from a dead stop.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BrMac901; 04-04-2023 at 10:06 AM.

Stock 4L60e. DON"T MESS WITH THE TM. You will break it. Lower FMC (force motor current) to build a little more pressure and use BlueCat to tune the trans.

Tuner in Training
    Any further inputs required? I selected shift slope and entered my tire size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BrMac901; 04-04-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Yeah. Lots. You have a pretty low shift RPM for a 6100 cutoff on DFCO. You have 3.42 and a 31.7 inch tire in Bluecat but your tune shows a 3.73 diff gear. Have you seen the youtube video for BlueCat? You may want to review. 4L60e's are not a good trans to experiment with.

Tuner in Training
    I'll have to check the video out. Maybe I'm better off leaving the trans alone. It's weird the ECM is set for 3.42 but the TCM is set for 3.73 According to my VIN the truck has 3.42 gears.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Yeah. Lots. You have a pretty low shift RPM for a 6100 cutoff on DFCO. You have 3.42 and a 31.7 inch tire in Bluecat but your tune shows a 3.73 diff gear. Have you seen the youtube video for BlueCat? You may want to review. 4L60e's are not a good trans to experiment with.
    HAHAHA without a doubt, it is not at all, it is the worst transmission that chevrolet could make

Quote Originally Posted by BrMac901 View Post
    I'll have to check the video out. Maybe I'm better off leaving the trans alone. It's weird the ECM is set for 3.42 but the TCM is set for 3.73 According to my VIN the truck has 3.42 gears.
    BlueCat is a GREAT tool, BUT you have to be careful and very thorough about entering every spot with data that is accurate to the VEHICLE. You need to first and foremost correct your data in the tune. ALL OF IT. Meaning tire size as measured with a tape measure not tire size on tire. Actual diff gear not what the OS says. Actual injector data, not what the OS says. etc. etc. That is an absolute must first step.
    Then you can use BlueCat to mod the transmission. Of course as I said before don't remove TM when you are dealing with a 4L60e. You want good positive engagement, restrict TCC to 4th gear at less than 50% throttle. Good firm shifts are what you want. Reduced shift time is what you want. Timing reduction during shift is what you want. Start adding power and a good transmission guy is what you want.

Advanced Tuner
    I have made several edits under the engine tab, under the trans tab i made a couple changes in torque management and torque converter duty. Also you can look at the new fan settings. You can open this in a compare file and use what you like from the edit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    I have made several edits under the engine tab, under the trans tab i made a couple changes in torque management and torque converter duty. Also you can look at the new fan settings. You can open this in a compare file and use what you like from the edit.
    Thanks! Could you please explain the purpose of lowering the voltage on the Rich/Lean vs. Airflow tables?

Screenshot 2023-04-06 191255.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Probably not very effective but it will switch the o2s at a lower voltage, picking up fuel mileage. I have noticed it does not make a large effect on the wideband, maybe 2% leaner at those voltages. I have also noticed reduced exhaust smell with moderate sized camshafts.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    BlueCat is a GREAT tool, BUT you have to be careful and very thorough about entering every spot with data that is accurate to the VEHICLE. You need to first and foremost correct your data in the tune. ALL OF IT. Meaning tire size as measured with a tape measure not tire size on tire. Actual diff gear not what the OS says. Actual injector data, not what the OS says. etc. etc. That is an absolute must first step.
    Then you can use BlueCat to mod the transmission. Of course as I said before don't remove TM when you are dealing with a 4L60e. You want good positive engagement, restrict TCC to 4th gear at less than 50% throttle. Good firm shifts are what you want. Reduced shift time is what you want. Timing reduction during shift is what you want. Start adding power and a good transmission guy is what you want.
    What's involved with correcting the injector data? I'm using stock 29.6 @ 58 injectors and my Injector Flow Rate vs. Pressure Delta matches. Do I just follow by verifying the MAF and VE tables?
    Last edited by BrMac901; 04-13-2023 at 11:11 AM.