Thread: User Defined Parameters

Tuning Addict

User Defined Parameters

Does anyone know how to "exactly" do this. Possibly a step by step "for dummies" if that's possible. What Keith posted leaves either a lot to be desired or I would assume you would already have to be very adverse in hex editing. I can open a tune - actually had someone else grab the tables out of another tune for me, but I'm unclear as how to exactly put these tables into the tunes calibration - they just show on the right side of the user defined screen. It's not like the tables suddenly start showing up in the tune file from what I've seen so far. Would also be nice to know how to actually open a tune file in tunerpro to grab the tables out too. Hoping you don't have to export to emotion or the other one as that seems to require even more credits.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    The parameters only show up when the xdf is loaded. They do not stay visible in the tune file. If you want them visible in the tune file, you will need to pass the xdf to HPT so they can add it to the editor, but you will need to use the latest beta IF they add them. Once the xdf is loaded into HPT, if all the addressing is correct for the OS you can edit the table as normal.

I have no tech education backround. My only resource is what a few people have kindly made available on the internet. With that though, I was able to define what I believe to be the (idle>airflow) throttle follower tables on a 2006 GTO OS 12604792. I have no idea if the OS even uses the tables and I have not tested flashing a changed tune yet. This is just testing for me since I have little knowledge here and there is barely any worthwhile information offered by HPT for this. I would never use what I describe below and the files I include to edit an actual bin file. I only plan to use this with HPT user defined parameters. Editing the actual bin file requires much more accurate information, checksum info, etc... What I describe is really only useful if you have a HPT file that has something defined that you need in a similar OS.
    You will want to use an excel sheet to map out stuff and do math. You will also want a .bin of your file.

What I did using tunerpro was create a new xdf then added a table for each "allowed" address.
    • Open Tunerpro
    • XDF>New XDF (nothing will happen) then XDF>View/Edit XDF header info.
    • Title, description, author, version can be whatever you want.
    • HPT ignores bin size but Tunerpro will not let you address things larger than this value. I set it to 200000(hex).
    • HPT uses base offset but they provide no information about whether or not you need it, you just have to know if you do or not.
    • I set the size to 2 bytes (16bit) and output to Floating Point significant digits I set at 2. (These become defaults for "new tables" when you add them)
    • I leave the rest default/blank.
    • Click Apply/Ok

I setup "locating tables" with the HPT given addresses.
    One of the allowed address ranges 02700F - 03FFFF on the 1204792 OS is mostly engine stuff I believe. This table will be huge and take a couple seconds to load (in HPT) on a slower computer.
    • Right click the parameter tree box > new parameter > table.
    • The title will carry to HPT.
    • The address is the start address of 02700F.
    • I leave everything else on the general tab default/blank
    • This table is 3199 rows
    • (03FFFF>(hex to dec)=262143 - 02700F>(hex to dec)=159759)=102384
    • 102384/16/2=3199 rows.
    • Row Label I set to ASCII String and make the row labels a hex address (02700, 027020, 027040 ...etc) just like the actual raw bin file would look in a hex editor. (I assume some things but looking at the manual for the CPU used in the E40, this gets it close enough to make me happy.
    • Columns I set to 16. Label them if you want.
    • Conversion tab, I have generally left blank for these larger tables but you can change that if you want. (Once you find something you want to define, you will need to know the correct conversion information, this is the place to enter that.)

Save and close the xdf. Then load it into HPT, if the box is greyed out then the addressing might be wrong. Close the xdf in HPT re-open in tunerpro and remove some rows from the table. Save>exit>open in HPT repeat until you can open the table.

I then used the 2005 GTO included with the sample tunes which had the throttle follower tables defined. The addressing is different for this OS so there was some trial and error as I described. Then I went into the throttle follower torque table and made a change. Then opened then xdf table and scrolled until I found the changes, noted the row and column(hex labeling helps here!), close the XDF in HPT (did not save changes). Then I created a new table in that xdf using the row and column intersection noted as my starting point (address). Made it 1 row and 17 columns. Save>exit>load into HPT. Once I matched my table with the HPT table for hex addressing purposes I moved onto figuring out the correct conversion factor needed. I think HPT plays some games here since the imperial/metric settings in the editor altered the way values are shown when importing the xdf. This was tricky for me but units do matter but HPT does not tell you what happens on import so you have to guess a few times. Only the throttle follower table labeled (ftlb) in the xdf I attached actually works. The Nm table freaks out when you try to change values. No idea why.

After I figured out this table information, it was mostly pattern matching to find it in the 12604792 OS.

I think this is the best "for dummies" I could come up with and it barely scratches the surface. I am not doing anything special that no one else has done so I take no credit for the files included. The winners in this game are either very smart people or those who can afford the more access than us.

I typed this up quick so sorry if something makes zero sense. The files attached are .7z files, so change the file extensions to .7z and use 7zip to unzip. The OS 12587603 is a GenIII xdf and is available on github but I included it here. I think this copy is the most recent and complete version of the 12587603 xdf. There have been a few hands on this xdf over the years and the original creator does not post much anywhere that I can find.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    Thank you for this. I've got to play with it and get back to you with more questions most likely. The problem I'm running into a lot lately is getting hpt to add missing tables into tune files. They'll put about all of the tables you need into some OS's, but if it's something like an older vehicle or especially a V6 then good luck. A few years ago they were great about adding in tables - in fact Jslic and I both spent hours getting missing tables read out with hpt that other software would allow you to change and sent them into hpt - now - you can just about forget it or they'll be so back logged that it won't get put in for another year meanwhile you have to get the vehicle done or it'll go to another tuner with sct or efi... I have efi for mobile or local tuning if need be, but remote tuning is a different story, so I need a solution.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    No problem. I can help to a point but not much more than I already posted. Without a parameter already being defined in some way(another software) or you somehow get some OEM definition files, it is a guessing game.

I also forgot to mention that HPT currently ignores the major/minor stride settings. So, for example setting up the Final Idle Airflow Minimum table you can make it look as intended in tunerpro, but once you load the xdf into HPT the columns are all misaligned. Until hpt fixes that, tables with multiple rows will need to have a separate table created for each row in tunerpro. Unless someone else can explain how to make a table like that correctly in tunerpro for HPT use.

Tuning Addict
    I thought there was supposed to be a way to reformat or to open a tune file in tuner-pro. Sorely mistaken I guess? As I have no idea where to find newer vehicle definition files - searched tuner pro - all were really old vehicles and their forum doesn't seem to have what we necessarily need. I know there has to be a way to convert them because most people using this are converting the files I believe...

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Yea, if you are working in tunerpro you need a way to obtain the raw .bin file from the car you are trying to tune. I think really old HPT used to let you save as .bin, not sure what version that was. I am not aware of any publicly available definition files for anything genIV and newer.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    Yea, if you are working in tunerpro you need a way to obtain the raw .bin file from the car you are trying to tune. I think really old HPT used to let you save as .bin, not sure what version that was. I am not aware of any publicly available definition files for anything genIV and newer.
    yes older versions of HPT were saved as .bin files. They changed it about 10 year ago or so I think to make our lives more difficult
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere