Thread: ok, where to now? KR owns me

Tuner in Training

ok, where to now? KR owns me

I swapped out knock sensors tonight for the newer sensors, I'm running 100 octane in it, and I'm still getting a ton of knock. I get a little blip of knock when I start the car on occasion, I get knock when the convertor locks if I'm anywhere near moderate throttle, a little knock at WOT, and I get knock on acceleration with the convertor locked. I'm in the middle of SD tuning and my AFR isn't real bad I don't think. The log I did tonight doesn't look as good as it has previously but I think that's because the temp outside dropped 15 degrees over what it was last week. I'm seeing richer than usual afr error %. The ve I'm not overly concerned with right now because it's generally close enough to not be a problem. The knock is what I want to get taken care of. I'm pretty sure this is all false knock since the new sensor install and 100 octane made zero difference.
    What next? What should I be doing now to confirm it's false and not a mechanical problem and if it is in fact false what should I do about desensitizing the sensors? Thanks for any an all help you guys can send my way. I feel like I'm taking the proper steps to rule out true KR but it's a big price to pay if I'm wrong.
    I'll upload my current tune and log although the ve error went rich due to the cold weather we're having.
    car and mods
    98 f-body
    228R cam
    5.3L stage 2.5 heads
    3500 stall
    strange 3.73 rear
    full exhaust and bolt ons

Orion,

Could you post a wot scan? I need to see if the knock sensors are too sensitive at the high rpm/load areas as well. Try this tune,
    then post a wot & part throttle scan.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    This log is from 2 nights ago with my old sensors. There are 2 short WOT runs near the end of it. One with zero knock(frame 26743) and one with knock(27905). The second one that has knock I'm pretty sure is caused by that lean spike right when I enter PE. I'm wondering if I should enable PE sooner to fix that. Anytime I go wot I get that little lean spike right at the beginning and I think that could be triggering my wot KR. I'm in OLSD at the moment. I really appreciate you looking at this for me and pointing me in a direction. I found an old post of yours where you told what to do to desensitize the sensors but I'm not a big fan of just making adjustments without understanding what it is I'm doing. This tune is still a long ways off from being right but I'm slowly getting it there by taking baby steps. Thanks again for looking at this for me.

edit: I'll go out this afternoon and get a true WOT run with this tune so you have a better log to look at. I'll probably have to play with my shift points a little first though because I haven't gotten to those yet. I banged the limiter in it the other day and adjusted the limiter and my shift points but haven't tried it out yet so I may be good to go the way it sits right now. I'll post up a better log tonight.
    Last edited by 0rion; 07-22-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Tim,

You really need to come see me so we can get your car tuned. I looked at your file, there are many changes to be had, not only to help with the Knock issue but other areas as well.

Bill
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, I know Bill. I'm just short on time all the time. Been working 12 hour shifts the last several weeks so I've went nocturnal on the car and drive it at night out here. I haven't even had a chance to have another bung welded on and I need to replace the brake rotors this week or next. I'm just using a header bung while I'm in OL to work on the ve table. Like I said, I know the tune is far from good but I've just been doing what little I can when I can. The car doesn't really idle or drive that bad even OLSD. I've been more concerned about this KR issue.
    I flashed that tune this evening and took a drive. It did help with the KR but I'm still seeing a little here and there. Usually when the convertor locks under load but it dropped well below what it was. I did somewhat of a wot run at the end of the log. I did enough to get it into pe and run it up to ~5600 rpm's. I had some kr on tip in but that same little lean spike was there on tip in so it looks like that's what caused it. I know my ve still needs quite a bit of work so after finishing that I'm hoping I can get rid of that lean spike. Here's the log.

That startup "knock" and all of the rest of what you are experiencing is par for the course with a 98. If you can get a handle on your AFR and are running 100 octane (you can reduce the whole HO map too) and get knock, I'd tweak the sensors back until it just goes away.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Tim,

I understand working a lot and having 2 kids, time is rare... When you get a chance sometime just give me a call and give me 2 hours with your car, I'll get you going in the right direction.

Bill

Orion,

That last scan looked a lot better. I reduced the Knock Retard Attack > Base Retard table by 25% on this tune.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Sorry guys. I had to leave town on a last minutes notice Monday to go check on my mom in Missouri. Just got back about an hour ago. I'll look at this tomorrow and get back to you.